Dear Dad,
These last few weeks have been pretty scary. Out of nowhere you started having severe stomach pains. We thought we were taking you to the emergency room with kidney stones or appendicitis. Little did we know that you would end up being in a fight for your life.
We hear the saying all the time that life can change in an instant, but we still go about our lives not really believing it. I'm not ready for you to go. We still have so much left to do; there's still so much more to say.
You are fought so hard for us! Everyone is amazed you are still here. There are so many people praying for you who love you. We have been flooded with calls and texts and emails and concern from friends and extended family. But, what's even crazier, is all the people praying for you who don't even know you. I know it's happening because the stories make their way back to us. I hope you are feeling the prayers and I hope you are feeling the love.
I have so many wonderful memories with you. I remember when I was a middle school cheerleader and you would stand at the top of the bleachers doing the UFO cheer. Gosh that was embarrassing! In high school, I remember calling you from school telling you that the "lima bean machine" had broken down on the way to school. I was glad to never see that thing again. I remember in high school you came to Every. Single. Event. You never missed. You were one of the few dads always there. I don't think I ever said thank you....thank you. I remember in college being glad your work had an 800 phone number so I could call you anytime (pre-cell phone times). I remember calling you from the dorm parking lot in the middle of the night because someone was in my parking place. I know that seemed crazy to you, but to me, you were the "fixer". You could solve all my problems. I remember you loving on my babies and when I would get them back their little heads would smell of your cologne.
I always tease you and say I am your apprentice and I have so much to
learn. If you are gone, who will I call when my garage is making a
funny noise? If you are gone, who will help me look at my sprinkler
system when it isn't working quite right? Who will tell me my tires look
low?
Today you come home from the hospital. One day shy of a full month. Just in time for Father's Day. Getting you a gift this year seems ridiculous. (don't worry, I will!) This year for Father's Day I'm the one getting the gift, the gift of time. I'm so thankful I get another Father's Day with you and pray there will be many more. I will try my hardest not to take you for granted. Thanks for being my Daddy!
Love,
Mandi





3 comments:
What a beautiful tribute to your dad! Love you!
So sweet Amanda and just know time with him will be the best gift you can give him. The older we get we dont need things but getting time with our CHILDREN is the best. Praying for a very blessed day today getting your Dad home. Im glad you took the opportunity to pay tribute to your Dad.
You made me cry...I'm so happy today that your sweet daddy is coming home. Oh, Amanda, I can't tell ya how I understand about your dad...Love ya!
Post a Comment