Thursday, October 8, 2009

Art Ala Carte

Our PTA sponsors this great program called Art Ala Carte. It was originally brought into the school when art funding was cut and K-2nd didn't have art class. Now, thankfully, we do have art back in all grades, but this is such a great supplemental program and the kids love it.

Last year I became familiar with it only because my kids brought home such great projects. Honestly, the things they did in Art Ala Carte were more impressive than what the did in regular art class. (hope the art teacher isn't reading this!)

This year, I decided to volunteer. I am so thankful that I am able to stay at home to be able to do these things with the kids. My girls absolutely love it when I volunteer in their classroom. They think it's so neat!

Yesterday was the first session of Art Ala Carte in 1st grade. The children learned terms such as: mood, cool colors, warm colors, shading and tinting. They used oil pastels to create their own version of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Here is EG super proud of her creation:

No comments: