Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Help

Today I was a monitor up at school for state testing. I was told to bring a book as my 3 hour time slot would be very boring. I decided this was a great opportunity for me to start this book I've heard so much about, "The Help", by Kathryn Stockett.

Oh my goodness. Run, don't walk, to your nearest bookstore and grab this book. It is so compelling I cannot put it down. I'm probably only 1/3 of the way through the book, but it is so thought provoking.

The story is set in the early '60s in the deep south Mississippi. This was a period in time when white women had black help, or a "Mamie". The story is told from the voice of the help and you realize, quickly, how awful the white women are. As I get to know each of the characters in the book, I wonder which white woman I would be most like. The answer, I know deep down, is not a pretty one.

Only 12 hours into this book and I have had 2 amazing conversations. The first was with the teacher in the classroom. She asked what I was reading and when I told her what the story was about she commented how far we have come, but how far we still have to go. She told me that in the early 80s her husband travelled for business to Mississippi. It was about 10:30 p.m. when he arrived at his hotel and it was pouring down rain. As he was getting out of his cab, a young black girl was finishing her shift at the hotel. Since it was pouring down rain she wanted to take a taxi. The taxi driver refused her, stating, "I don't drive colored people in my cab."

I had a more toned down version of this conversation with my kids when they asked what I was reading. One of my daughter's best friends in Sugar Land was a darling African American girl. She told me that one day at school a boy was being mean to her and told her, "you know, we white people used to rule over you!"

I could not be more stunned or more saddened that a comment like this would be made in the year 2010.

Thoughts???

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I LOVED this book! I also could not put it down!! I also feel like we have a long way to go in this area, however there are some things that we do as a society that are meant to help that I do not agree with, such as quotas. Let the most qualified employee or student fill the spot regardless of their color. Great book!

@nnie said...

ok, I put it at the top of my summer reading list! thanks!

Leslie said...

I need a new post. Take some pictures of your apartment so I can see where you are living. I played hookie from work today. It was nice to lay in bed and watch TV