Monday, April 27, 2009

Lubbock

This weekend I took Hannah to a gymnastics competition in Lubbock, Texas. Have you ever been to Lubbock? If you haven't, take my word for it. It's not a pretty place. I mean absolutely no disrespect to anyone fond of Lubbock. I'm just stating the obvious. It is very, very dry; very, very windy; very, very brown. There are no trees. Seriously, no trees. The few trees that are planted look weak and thirsty. Evidently, it only rains like twice a year there.

We went by to check out Texas Tech University. It's a nice school. They did the best with what they have. Most of the building are brown. I'm sure this is a necessity for when a wind storm comes through and makes the buildings dirty. The brown just blends right in. The stadium though was super sad. I wonder how many seats it even holds? It looks like a high school stadium. Mike Leach needs to start making some demands after the great season he had last year!



But, as for the meet, Hannah did great. It was very bittersweet because we were competing against her old gymnastics team. It was really hard to be there with the current team, but still wishing we were on the old team. We absolutely loved SSB and it was hard not to choke up when I saw her old coaches who we love!



My Mom met us in Lubbock and it was Hannah's first girls' trip. We wouldn't choose to go to Lubbock for a girls trip, but it was a fun weekend. For another funny story about this trip, go here.

3 comments:

Kim Malone said...

I went to Lubbock for the OSU/Tech game in 2000. We laughed at all the brown buildings. So depressing!! OSU's buildings are all the same color for the most part as well but at least they are red brick!!

Keepin' Up with the Joneses said...

yep. my husband is from Lubbock and I must agree, not a real pretty place. don't think we will be moving there anytime soon (don't tell my in-laws).

@nnie said...

I bet Vegas was a little more exciting than Lubbock. Come on and blog it!!!!