After all the mistakes we made in our last emergency, I immediately picked up the phone and called 911. After Daniel grabbed the fireplace poker, his weapon of choice, he noticed that the back gate was open. Yep! Someone had been in our backyard.
While I'm giving all the details to 911 we hear the front door rattling. Coco, our black lab, is trying to get in the door. I quickly realize that Tyler, our little neighbor across the street had been swimming tonight and probably didn't get the gate shut all the way when he left. But, where was Sadie?
We couldn't find her anywhere. This is very uncharacteristic of her. If Coco can get away, she makes a break for it. But, not Sadie. She knows how good she's got it.
Daniel hopped in his car and set off to find her. After about 30 minutes I made him come home. I felt helpless being at home by myself. I wanted to trade spots and go look for her. I drove around for about 45 minutes when I saw a police car. I flagged him down and asked him if he had seen a yellow lab. He said no. He was called in to patrol the neighborhood. He asked where I lived and I had to tell him that yes, we were the 911 callers. How embarrassing! He was very sweet and told me he would call if he saw the dog.
I went on my way and kept looking. I saw a skunk in someone's front yard. Wouldn't they die if they knew that? Thankfully, it didn't spray me. My head was halfway out the window whistling for Sadie.
After about 10 more minutes Daniel called me. 911 called him back. The police found the dog. Lucky for us they had our number because of our 911 call. Seriously, so embarrassing!!! Your tax dollars at work, people!
I went to where the policeman was waiting and told him I was sorry I couldn't provide him with a more exciting night. I was sure finding lost dogs wasn't on his mind when he signed up for this job!
Anyway, we got our prodigal dog back safe and sound. The girls have no clue any of this even happened. Slept thru the whole mess! Daniel is now snoring and my heart rate is just now starting to come down from hearing that door knob rattle!!!




1 comment:
wowzer... another Herrold adventure. Glad your doggie is home safely!
Post a Comment