Monday, September 28, 2009

A Girl and Her Shoes

I am not one of those Moms that goes out shopping when the season changes and loads up on clothes and shoes for all my girls. I try to buy things constantly and rotate whose turn it is. I can't afford to do a big shopping spree. It's less painful this way.

This weekend it was Ellie Grace's turn to get new tennis shoes. And, boy, did she need them. We went to Dillard's and she immediately spotted these cute brown Sketchers. She was smitten!

The only problem with this type of shoe is that she has a very narrow foot! Shoes that you slip on just don't work well for her. They are too loose across the bridge of her foot. Coincidentally, these are the shoes she is always drawn to. I always let her try them on, crossing my fingers that this time they will fit. After trying them out in the store, she decided these were the shoes for her. She loved them. She was so proud she lugged that big bag all up and down the mall. She even slept with the box in her bed.

This morning Ellie Grace popped out of bed so excited to wear her new shoes to school! (such a girl!) When she finally made it downstairs, tears were streaming down her face. The shoes didn't feel so good. They just didn't fit right. We tried them with a different pair of socks. Now tears combined with snot. She was devastated! This might be an understatement. I told her we would go back tonight and exchange them for a different pair, but she just cried, "I don't want a different pair. I love that pair!"

With about 10 minutes 'till the bell rang she finally put her old shoes on and hopped on her bike. She cried the whole way to school. I walk her till the school is in sight and then wave her on. She made it almost to the crossing guard when she threw her bike down and came sobbing back, "I think I need another hug!" Man, this is a girl who has emotionally bonded with her shoes.

I surprised her at lunchtime by checking her out of school and racing to the mall. She was thrilled. Here is the pair she picked out:

Upon returning to school (we made it back in time for class), her teacher asked her if she had a doctor's appointment. Ellie Grace responded, "No, my Mom took me to get shoes." I asked her what the teacher said, and she answered, "Well, those are cute shoes!"

You gotta give it up for a girl who cries over shoes!

1 comment:

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

I'm so happy she found some! I felt bad that I forgot to ask you about it when I talked to you. What a great surprise for her!