I saw this post on facebook. A fallen soldier from Sugar Land was coming home. Not the way his family intended, but nonetheless, coming home. The city asked Sugar Landers to line the streets next to the small airport by waving flags. My Mom and sister and I thought this sounded like something we wanted to be a part of so we jumped at the chance.
What a wonderful learning experience for my kids. It was a chance to talk about showing respect and showing gratitude. It was a chance to talk to them about the sacrifices our troops make so that we can live a free life and worship God.
I was more overwhelmed than I expected to be. I fought back tears as the hearse made it's way by. The two limos that followed no doubt carried his parents and family members. I just couldn't help but think what his mom must be thinking. So sad at the loss of her son, so proud of his service, and such gratitude that so many people would take the time to pay tribute. 

The streets were lined as far as I could see. Hundreds of harleys with retired vets rode in the motorcade. It was a powerful moment that I will never forget. I'm so grateful for all those who serve our country!




1 comment:
That really did look amazing! I would have loved to take my kids, but I didn't hear about it until it was over. BTW I just posted a response to your comment on my blog. Thanks for the awesome compliment!
Post a Comment