Yes, PTL we survived. It was a LONG scary night during Ike. The kids all slept in our room, but around 2 .m. the winds were so strong we were afraid something would fly through the window and if glass hit any of our precious babies we would never forgive ourselves. So, we moved the to the closet at 2:00 a.m. until 6:00 a.m. We lost power at 2:15 and of course the girls were scared so I was in the very small, hot closet with them. We truly are so blessed. Our house didn't sustain any damage, but we lost our fence..completely gone except for 1 section and we lost one tree. The power has yet to be restored so yesterday afternoon we decided enough was enough and we headed for T-town. We made it home at 1:30 a.m. One of the problems with staying was that we were running out of food, and even if you were lucky enough to find a grocery store that was open, they were virtually out of food. It will be days before they restock the shelves. Our neighborhood looked like a war zone. I wish I would have taken pictures to show you, but you are probably seeing enough on tv. I will never forgot the roaring sound of the wind for hours on end. We will not be staying through one of those again. I can't imagine if it had been a Category 4.
As we left town last night, we noticed all the small towns without power. It took us 2 hours out of Houston before we even stumbled on a town with power. 2 hours! That's amazing. When we saw gas stations that were open the cars were lined up 75 deep to get gas. We had filled up before the storm so we had enough gas to make it to Dallas, thankfully.
We brought the dogs with us and dropped them off at our "winter home" last night. It was very bittersweet. I miss my house. I miss my neighborhood. I miss my Tulsa life. But, no tears!!!! Daniel was able to go into the Tulsa office today, so he will actually be more productive in Tulsa than in Houston. The girls school is cancelled for the next few days so we will be here indefinitely.
Thanks for all the texts, calls and e-mails during the storm. We really appreciate all of the prayers for safety.




4 comments:
Too scary...welcome back to T town. Think you'll still be here Thurs? Trying to plan a girls night.
I've been wondering about you guys! That last post around midnight left us all hangin'! Glad that everyone's safe....hope you get to enjoy the awesome weather we're having in t-town!
So glad to hear you all are safe!!
Oooh! I always wanted to know someone with a winter home! Can we come vacation for free? You know we don't get a real winter here in Texas.
Post a Comment