Monday, February 2, 2009

Going for Gold

Hannah had a gymnastics meet this weekend in Victoria, Texas. My Mom and Dad were in town so my Mom drove with me so she could watch Hannah. I was so thankful to have company for the drive! Hannah's first stop was the floor. Watch the video below of her first tumbling pass.

We thought it looked pretty good. When they finally held up her scores, they were low. The lowest of anyone that had gone. We watched other tumblers with bent legs and a slower pass get higher scores. We didn't know what happened, but I am not an expert so I assumed she must have done something. She lined up for her 2nd pass. I am hoping she does well, but quite honestly, from a competitive standpoint, I checked out, knowing she didn't stand a chance to place. Here is her next pass.

Again, looks pretty good to us. She gets her scores and they are great. But, Hannah walked over to me and burst into tears. "Why were my scores so bad?" Oh, goodness. I didn't have an answer, so I told her to go ask her coach, who went to ask the head judge. Turns out, they had messed up on her scores and she actually received the highest scores on the first pass!

My lesson in this was that Hannah did not let it shake her. She got right back up and did her 2nd pass great. She didn't allow herself to get upset until the very end. You never know how life may turn out. And, for Hannah, that meant a 2nd place medal! She was thrilled! She also received a 3rd and 6th place medal at the meet!

2 comments:

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Tell Hannah that I'm so proud of her!

Gberger said...

Thank you for your kind comment on my blog. I share your faith and hope that I will see Katie again...in fact, she told me so herself before she passed on. And I am SO looking forward to seeing her; I miss her terribly, every day.

May I just say that I think your honest answer to your daughter that you didn't know why her scores were low, and pointing her to those who could answer, was simple and inspired. Good for you, for not getting caught up in competitive mommy-ing.
God bless you!