Thursday, December 18, 2008

The Family Meal

It is so hard, this day and age, to have a family dinner. Our kids are all involved in different activities, Dad might have to stay late at work, or we have something going on. It seems Sundays after church is the only guaranteed time I have to get my family around the table at the same time. When I was growing up, not only did we always have family dinners, but somehow, my Mom managed to pull off the family breakfast. We were all expected at the table at a certain time and while we were eating my Dad would read a short devotional followed by a prayer and that's how we always started our day. This week I was convicted that my family should be doing this. We started on Monday. It meant getting up about 20 minutes earlier and giving up precious sleep, but we were going to give it our best shot. We told the girls they were expected to be ready for school at 7:00 and that's when we would be starting our breakfast. We have managed to do it every day this week. Not only is it wonderful precious time with eachother, but our mornings have been much less frazzled. We seem to have extra time...I guess this goes back to the property of tithing. We are giving God the firstfruits of each day and somehow the time seems to be given back to us. At the beginning of the year, I plan to add to the tradition. My friend, Katie, keeps her Christmas cards in a basket near her table. They prayer for a different family each day. I can't wait to start this tradition with my family.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, you're making me feel like such the lazy mom for not even getting out of bed until 7:15, much less doing a devotional with my family in the morning. You are inspiring me to try harder and do better. Too bad today is the last day of school, your timing is horrible as it is hard enough for me to get out of bed when I have to, much less when I don't. My question is...how long do you keep the basket of cards out to pray for the families? Is it a seasonal thing or a year long thing? Because having the basket on my counter all year might be more than this lazy (although type A) mom can take!

@nnie said...

I'm so proud of you. I know it takes effort, but is totally worth it. (not that I've done it lately... but I'm feeling SURE it's worth it) Blessings, Amanda!