Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Drapes

My 55 year old BFF, Linda, made me some drapes (window treatments for you sophisticates!), for my family room. They are so beautiful and I was so excited to get them up. She told me I would need to find an installer. "Nonsense, Leslie says. Phillip hung all of mine. He and Daniel can do it."

Well, the least I could do was feed them. So, I made a good dinner to butter the boys up and then they set off to work. First stop: family room. Here is what the windows looked like before with lovely, dusty, dirty paper blinds.

Here is what the windo looks like now! Beautiful. Now, I just need new windows. I want the big glass sheets with no lines through them. Add it to the list.



Off to Abby's room. Linda also made drapes for her room. Now, when we moved and Abby got a new bed, she picked her own bedding. She is a cheetah print girl through and through. I wanted darling bedding from Pottery Barn, but she insisted on cheetah print. So, Linda helped make me some panels for her windows. Leslie has suggested a darling paint color shade of blue that I can't wait to get up on the wall. Anyway, Abby had aluminum blinds in her room. So, Phillip and Daniel set off to replace the blinds.

Uh oh. The blinds don't fit. They are about half an inch to short. Daniel is getty cranky. Phillip is determined. Daniel said he is trying to figure out what Jerry would do (my Dad). We should get him a WWJD bracelet, but for him it would mean, "what would Jerry do?". Phillip says, "Well, let's go look for some wood!" And off they go.

Look for some wood?? Is he serious? In our backyard? Are they going to bring in bark from the tree or tear apart our fence. Confused.

So we come downstairs to find all of our kids in the kitchen testing out the new bubble game making set Hannah received for Christmas.

WOW! Time for me to jump in and help before they start using the food coloring. Here I am stirring and mixing.

The kids think I'm crazy. I might be. We divide it up and all give it a try.



Yuck. I recommend store bought bubblegume. The kids agree.

Meanwhile, as I look out the back window. The boys are drinking a beer. Looking for wood, eh? Pretty soon, they come in to report that they couldn't find wood.

Daniel reluctantly heads to Lowes and Phillip and Leslie leave. Of course, as they are getting in their car, Leslie looks up and says, "you really need blinds on that window. You can see straight in." Thanks, Leslie!

Lowes is closed, but Daniel figures out a Jerry-ish way to make it work. I'm so proud I'm singing "i'm proud of you".

Of course, the curtain rod is too big and won't go through the curtain. So, I have to head back to Lowes for like the 50th time to make it right. More pictures to come after tonight's episode!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The drapes in the living room are beautiful! And I must say the handy men that hung them are pretty cute too!