Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Be Still

Last year on the last day of my Bible Study, we had share day. One of the ladies shared that she was stepping down from leadership because she just felt like she needed more time. Time to enjoy her kids, time to play, time to be a wife, just time to rock her babies. I remember being so envious. I have spent the last few years being so busy with church, Bible Study, school, volunteering, etc. that I think I missed out on just being. I remember as I was listening to her thinking how sad I was that my kids would all be school aged this year and I could not take time off to rock babies and be a wife. It's funny how God took that small desire in my heart and made it come to fruition, even though I had never dreamed it would be a move. When we decided to move, I made a promise to myself that I would not commit to anything for the first year. No leadership positions, no PTA positions, no volunteering commitments, etc. I am in absolute heaven. Even though my kids are at school all day, this has freed me up to just "be". When the classroom needs a reader, I can go because I am not busy. When my husband calls for lunch, I can go because I am not busy. When a friend wants to go shopping, I can go because I am not busy. I know this time will pass quickly and soon I will need to step up to the plate, but for me and this school year, being still has been a gift.

2 comments:

Penny said...

Amen to that! I have loved moving and just walking away from all my commitments, or overcommitments! Be still and know that I am God. That comes to mind daily for me...

Unknown said...

ok, last comment, maybe? ha! this is my story to a T! u go girl. God asks us to say no just as much as yes! THIS is church...all those wonderful opportunities u described where we take the time to encourage each other genuinely. love it!